Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast
Showing results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: $250 budget.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Re: $250 budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain View Post
    what does pro tools do that cubase doesnt?
    does it hold me gently while i cry on its shoulder on saturday night?

DOES IT?
    Nah but for real, anytihng I NEED TO DO, i can do in Nuendo... or Cubase, remember I'm not a engineer sir, and the setup, and functionality of Cubase/Nuendo really appeals to me much more than that of PT LE.
    yea I can use both easily. Cubase is no slouch lol. hence why I use both. I like Pro Tools for the edit tools, particularly the smart tool, object/time selectors, and the stretch tool. Tab to Transient is invaluable. It's worth having just for Beat Detective, Insert Silence, ad Sound Replacer. Pro Tools is most beneficial because it's easy as hell to achieve a live sound with the ease of use of working with programmed, quantized, midi instruments. and you can do that using actual live instruments or using midi instruments.

In reality, anything you NEED to do to a song can be done in Audacity or Garage Band. But you use Cubase for a reason. Once you know how to use its features you don't want to use programs that don't offer the same features. This is the same with Pro Tools. they wouldnt be able to be such assholes about compatibility if they didn't have a program that out performs the competition.

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    yea I can use both easily. Cubase is no slouch lol. hence why I use both. I like Pro Tools for the edit tools, particularly the smart tool, object/time selectors, and the stretch tool. Tab to Transient is invaluable. It's worth having just for Beat Detective, Insert Silence, ad Sound Replacer. Pro Tools is most beneficial because it's easy as hell to achieve a live sound with the ease of use of working with programmed, quantized, midi instruments. and you can do that using actual live instruments or using midi instruments.

In reality, anything you NEED to do to a song can be done in Audacity or Garage Band. But you use Cubase for a reason. Once you know how to use its features you don't want to use programs that don't offer the same features. This is the same with Pro Tools. they wouldnt be able to be such assholes about compatibility if they didn't have a program that out performs the competition.
    Opey... whats the track limit on Pro Tools? It seems to change all the time. Im trying to import an omf with 33 channels, 33 audio tracks and it says I cant import that many tracks... it wont even tell me where to position themcif I was to import them myself. Ive even used more than 35 audio tracks before and it never said anything... but maybe it was because of the amount of data per track or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

it ships with 24 track support and can be upgraded to 48. Import 24 then make a few inactive to get the rest in. Then you'll need to do some bouncing or use one track for multiple regions.

Battle Record
    41-13
    Awards Cypher Winner - Award Request Accepted LLL HOF OM HOF SS HW Champion LLL Champion 1-2 Season Champion 1-2 Punch HW Champion FL Champion 100+ Wins ABL Champion

Well... finally got a cheap interface as well...

got a m audio mobile pre for $70 including shipping...

so I got a set up that will work for now for just over $100...

(should get here in about a week)
    AI

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    it ships with 24 track support and can be upgraded to 48. Import 24 then make a few inactive to get the rest in. Then you'll need to do some bouncing or use one track for multiple regions.
    Ahh. How do you upgrade?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    41-13
    Awards Cypher Winner - Award Request Accepted LLL HOF OM HOF SS HW Champion LLL Champion 1-2 Season Champion 1-2 Punch HW Champion FL Champion 100+ Wins ABL Champion

My shit will finally get here on the 14th...

Too bad I'm gone all weekend or I'd get my ass recording!
    AI

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Paze View Post
    Ahh. How do you upgrade?
    Music Production Toolkit or DV Toolkit.

Battle Record
    12-1

I have a similar budget(200-250). I don't want to fuck with ebay. I want something new that sounds decent. It doesn't need to be Godlike quality - but good enough so that when people hear it, they're not thinking about the quality. Is that possible?
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    3-2

Chris. $250 for a mic or mic & interface?

Battle Record
    3-2

I thought your voice was all fucked up Chris??? gonna be on some post-car crash D.O.C. type shit or what???

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Percep120/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1Mic/

those 3 are okay...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Inspire1394/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireOne/

I use the first one and get decent results... the second one looks dope, some people aren't hot on Tascam's preamps, but that thing has some cool features...

Battle Record
    12-1

Quote Originally Posted by Big Keeb View Post
    I thought your voice was all fucked up Chris??? gonna be on some post-car crash D.O.C. type shit or what???
    I had surgery on Friday. My voice is back at God Status.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    12-1

Keeb, what's the difference between the two interfaces? Which mic is the best?
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

The AKG mics have the best quality control. At this price level two of the same exact mic can sound very different. You'll probably be happy with all those mics but the B1 tends to have a beefier low end. This can bring out a deep voice, but a mic with more high end would naturally EQ a deep voice. If you're not sure I'd go with the AKG or AT. Both are ok mics for the price.

For an interface, I like M-Audio because you can get a copy legit copy of Pro Tools for $150. If you get sick of dealing with program cracks you won't have to pay $800 for Cubase or even $350 for Audition. I wouldn't expect a hobbyist to throw down that kind of cash for a program.

Also, M-Audio interfaces are the best bang for your buck. My studio is driven by an M-Audio 1814. I have 9 preamps, 2 sets of monitors, 2 sets of headphones, a 2 track recorder, and 3 midi devices running thru it, and i still have 9 inputs and 8 outputs available.

Battle Record
    3-2

of those two interfaces, the Presonus will probably have better preamps and may be a bit quieter... in this budget though, the difference will probably be negligeble... I use the Presonus, and am happy with it... it is basic, no frills gear... it has a total of 4 inputs, which is more than enough for me (or you probably)... it is rugged and portable, and uses Firewire connection...

the Tascam has some other features which are nice... but again, some people would argue that Tascam's preamps are dooky... I don't know from experience... anyway, it has two of them, which should be fine... it has a "jog wheel" and F buttons, which would really come in handy... you can assign the keys to do different shit within your recording program... that way, you could keep your interface in your booth (or closet) and not have to come out to work the controls when you mess up... that's a matter of preference really... I would like to have that convenience, but am not sure I wanna roll with Tascam, judgin' by a lot of what I've read on their physical quality...

as far as the mics...

the Audio Technica is a well known brand name... their mics are trusted for having low self noise, a warm pleasing sound, good durability, and good customer service... it's still a cheap mic, but should sound good...

the AKG is a decent mic for the price... their higher end stuff is well respected, and their lower end stuff is built to some high standards... I've never sampled one for sound, but have read enough testimonials to believe it's decent...

the Studio Projects mic is PROBABLY decent... their much higher end gear is good stuff... their low end stuff is probably pretty similar to other mics in this price range... again, not one I've sampled personally, but have read testimonials of a lotta people that like 'em...

if it were me, I'd narrow it down to the AT and the AKG... I'd probably opt for the AT, it seems much more commonly used and appreciated... I used one briefly, it sounded nice with my voice and was very quiet...

Battle Record
    3-2

and I agree on the M-Audio interfaces... for a little bit more money, they're very well worth it... if you're stickin' to $200-250, you may be best to go with the less expensive mic (the AT) and an M-Audio interface...

I know you don't wanna fuck with eBay... but there are a lot of eBay stores with great deals on those two pieces of gear...